The Pierce/Sweezy/Phillips House was completed in 1948 for Kate Pierce, the widow of the late O. W. Pierce. Designed by Walter Scholer Architects and built on the Northeast corner of the Pierce Estate, the house was designed in the then modern ranch style featuring single floor design allowing easier living for the aged Mrs. Pierce and her maid.
After Mrs. Pierce's death, her daughter and son-in-law moved into the house and Lafayette knew it as the Mr. & Mrs. Burr Sweezy Sr. home. Van & Linda Phillips purchased the house, and the detached original 1912 carriage house, in 1985. The Phillips have heard many stories about the Sweezy era including the limousine Mr. Sweezy used to get to work as the President of Lafayette National Bank. The original battery power telephone allowing Sweezy to call the butler/driver, who lived above the carriage house, still exists in the laundry room.